Settlements on the Iditarod Trail
The village was originally settled by Eskimos of the Fish River tribe, and was noted on a map as "Erok" in 1900. The original site for Solomon was in the delta of the Solomon River; it became a mining camp. The gold rush during the summers of 1899 and 1900 brought thousands of people to the Solomon area. Three enormous dredges worked the Solomon River. By 1904, Solomon had seven saloons, a post office, a ferry dock, and was the southern terminus of a narrow gauge railroad that ran to the Kuzitrin River. In 1913, the railroad was washed out by storms, and in 1918, the flu epidemic struck. This site is known as Dickson today, and remains of structures and railroad equipment exist. In 1939, the community relocated to the present site, which was formerly known as Jerusalem. The BIA constructed a large school in 1940. During World War II, a number of families moved away from Solomon. The post office and BIA school were discontinued in 1956. The Solomon Roadhouse operated until the 1970s.